Fly of the Month - November, 2019
The pattern was tied at one of the Tuesday night fly tying classes at the shop. The fly was tied by Eric and was inspired by his fly fishing trip to Italy
Click Fly to Enlarge
|Hook:||Sixty degree jig hook. Sz 10-18.
|Body:||Green Holographic Tinsel.
|Weight:||Copper Tungsten Bead Head sized to hook.
|Tail:||CDL Barbules from a CDC Feather.
|Thorax:||Brown Olive Prism Dubbing.
|Wing Pod:||Yellow Floss
Fish under an indicator as the bottom fly in a two fly rig with top fly serving as a weight to get the fly down in the water column.
- Slid the bead on the hook and mount it in the vise.
- Start the thread behind the bead and secure it in place.
- Lay a thread base to the bend of the hook shank. Select 4-6 CDL fibers and tie them on starting at the bend and bring the thread forward. The tail should be the length of the shank.
- Secure a piece of the holographic tinsel to the shank and bring the thread toa point behind the bead. Wind the tinsel forward and secure behind the bead.
- Tie on a short piece of floss behind the bead. and trim short.
- Apply a small amount of dubbing behind the bead.
- Whip-finish and cut the thread.
Flies or materials are available at T. Hargrove Fly Fishing, Inc.
Saint Louis, Missouri 63144
© 2015 All rights reserved