Craig at the fly shop developed this pattern for those fun to catch blue gill.
Click Fly to Enlarge
|Hook:||Dai-Riki 3761 Size 8.
|Body:||Small Chenille - (Color of your Choice).
|Weight:||Bead Chain Eyes.
|Tail:||Medium or Large Rubber Legs.
|Overbody:||Ice Dub Minnow Back Shimmer Fringe (Color of your choice) and several strands o red and gold flash-a-bou.
Fish the Blue Gill clouser by stripping it along the bottom.
Video is on the way
- Mount the bead on the hook and tie on the bead (Super glue the eyes for strengtth).
- Run the thread down the shank to a point half way around the bend. Build up a red tag and apply a coat of glue to the tag. Return the thread to behind the bead chain eyes.
- Tie in two strands of rubber legs. Stretch the rubber legs as you wind the thread down to the end of the shank of the hook. Release the legs and they should naturally form a "v". Return the thread to behind the bead chain eyes.
- Tie on the chenille and wrap over the chenille to the end of the shank. Return the thread to behind the bead chain eyes.
- Wrap the chenille forward. When you get to the bead chain eyes bring one wrap of chenille over the bead chain eyes under the shank and back over the bead chain eyes. Tie off the chenille behind the bead chain eyes.
- Turn the fly over and mount it in the vise. The thread should now be hanging between the eye of the hook and the bead chain eyes.
- Tie on a clump of shimmer fringe and several strands of flash-a-bou. The fringe and flash-a-bou should be tied on in front of the bead chain eyes and behind the hook eye. Before tying in the clump of shimmer fringe and flash-a-bou run a bead of glue on the tying thread. (The shimmer fringe is slippery and the glue will help to seal the tie in.)
- Build a nice thread head, whip-finish and clip the thread. Use an epoxy or Davy's Flexament to coat the head.
Flies or materials are available at T. Hargrove Fly Fishing, Inc.
Saint Louis, Missouri 63144
© 2015 All rights reserved