Born's Hairy Leg Sow Bug
This is a variation of George Born's, Little Red guide, pattern for imitating the sow bugs on the Little Red River in Arkansas. It can be fished dead drifted, stripped or just swing it.
Click Fly to Enlarge
|Hook:||TMC 2487 scud #14 and #16.|
|Thread:||Danville Gray 6/0 Flymaster.|
|Bead:||1/8 or 3/32 Natural finish or Silver.|
|Body:||Wapsi #260 Sowbug.|
|Ribbing:||4X Mono or X-small silver wire(Optional for durability).|
|Weight:||Lead free wire .015 or .020 approximately seven wraps|
- Mash barb. Bead the hook and place in the vice.
- Wrap seven or eight turns of lead wire down the shank.
- Start the thread behind the bead and lay a base wrap over the lead down to the bend. Return the thread to behind the bead.
- If using a mono ribbing, tie it in starting at the bead and wrap to the bend. Cut off the excess mono.
- Dub a tapered body to behind the bead. Use a dubbing brush to brush out the dubbing.
- Select and prepare the appropriate size Hungarian Partridge. Tie it in by the tip and make several wraps behind the bead. Cut off the excess.
- Whip finish.
T. Hargrove Fly Fishing Inc,
Saint Louis, Missouri 63144
Phone - 314.968.4223
© 2015 All rights reserved