It is believed that this fly was first tied by Jim Saraceno, a regular in the shop. One of the flies was given to Joseph Aimonette who is an innovative fly tier. Joe tinkered with the pattern and put his own mark on the fly. Thus was born Joe's Christmas Tree.
Click Fly to Enlarge
|Hook:||Mustad 3366 - Size 8.|
|Body:||Black or Peacock Pearl Chenille.|
|Weight:||Black Bead Chain Eyes.|
|Hackle:||Black Hen Hackle.|
|Tail:||Red Hackle Barbules.|
li>Mount the hook. Start the thread and lay a thread base down the shank and half way down the bend.
- Bring the thread back to one eye length behind the eye. Tie on the bead chain eyes about one eye length behind the eye. Super glue to hold in place.
- Select as small bunch of red Hackle and tie on the tail. The tail should start at the end of the hook shank. The thread down the bend of the hook will serve as a tag.
- Tie on the pearl chenille and bring the thread to a point behind the bead chain eyes.
- Wrap the chenille forward and tie it off behind the bead chain eyes.
- Tie on a black hen hackle by the tip behind the bead chain eyes. Make a couple wraps behind the bead chain eyes and a couple in front of the eyes.
- Form a small head, whip finish and coat the head with cement.
T. Hargrove Fly Fishing Inc,
Saint Louis, Missouri 63144
Phone - 314.968.4223
© 2015 All rights reserved