Although the Chernobyl is often thought of as an ant pattern, the Chubby Chernobyl makes and excellent imitation of a grasshopper. Fishing the Chubby Chernobyl as the top fly in a two fly rig makes for an excellent combination. Favorite colors are a tan or purple fun foam body.
Click Fly to Enlarge
|Hook:||Dai-Riki 280 or TMC 5263 Size #12-6.|
|Thread:||8/0 UNI Thread Tan.|
|Tail:||Pearl Krystal Flash.|
|Body:||Olive or Peacock Prism Dubbing|
|Hackle:||Brown or Furnance Hackle (One size small than the hook).|
|Carapace:||Tan 2 mm Fun Foam shaped with a scissor or a Chernobyl Foam Body Cutter.|
|Legs:||Tan Round Medium Rubber or equivalent.|
|Wings:||Polypropylene Floating Yarn White.|
- Mount the hook in the vise. Lay a layer of thread from behind the eye to a point on the shank above the barb.
- Tie in several strands of Pearl Krystal flash so that the tips extent beyond the back of the hook. Clip the Krystal Flash about 3/4 of the length of the shank.
- Starting at the point on the shank above the barb, dub the peacock dubbing forward to the point on the shank above the point.
- Extend the Fun Foam carapace about the lenght of the hook gap behind the bend and tie it in place at a point on the shank above the point. (Some tiers like to place a dab of super glue on this tie in point.)
- Using a 2-3 inch length of polypropylene, tie it in at the same place that the carapace was secured.
- Attach one set of rubber legs to both sides of the hook at this tie in point.
- With one hand sweep the legs, wings, and carapace back towards the rear and tie in a brown hackle in front of the carapace. Secure the hackle rearward to the carapace.
- Place the peacock dubbing onto the thread and wind the dubbing over the carapace in front of the wings and between he rubber legs.
- Continue applying dubbing down the hook shank to one eye length behind the eye.
- Palmer the hack forward to one eye length behind the eye and secure. Clip the hackle.
- Pull the carapace over the dubbing and hook shank and secure it one eye length behind the eye.
- Again tie on a polypropylene wing.
- Attach a set of rubber legs to both sides of the fly.
- Dub the thread with the peacock dubbing and wrap the dubbing over the carapace, behind the wings and between the legs.
- Lift the front of the carapace and form a head behind the eye. Whip finish and apply head cement.
- Cut the Fun Foam to form a head. Cut the legs to about a shank length.
Secure the wings by tying in half of the polypropylene in front of the tie in point and half of the polypropylene behind the tie in point. Gather the polypropylene and pull it perpendicular to the hook shank. Wrap the polypropylene as if you are forming a post for a parachute fly.
T. Hargrove Fly Fishing Inc,
Saint Louis, Missouri 63144
Phone - 314.968.4223
© 2015 All rights reserved