This is an excellent and easily tied patterns developed by Craig Stephens at T. Hargrove Fly Fishing, Inc.
Click Fly to Enlarge
||Scud Hook Size 12-18.
||Metz AZ SYN Peacock Bronze Dubbing.
|Weight:||Brass or Tungsten Bead and/or lead wire (optional).
Fish the scud under an indicator with or without weight, but get the scud near the bottom.
Video coming soon!
- Mount the hook in the vise (Put on the bead or lead wire, if used) and lay a base of thread from just behind the eye to slightly down the bend.
- Form a dubbing loop at the bend. (Lightly wax the thread before forming the loop)
- Insert a generous amount of dubbing in the loop and twist to form a dubbing brush.
- Wind the dubbing brush forward towards the eye stroking the fibers towards the bend after each wrap.
- Tie off the dubbing brush just behind the eye. Clip the excess and form a small thread head. Whip-finish and cement the head. Clip the thread.
- Remove the fly from the vise and grab it near the barb with a pair of forceps. With your fingers, pull the dubbing fibers down each side of the hook. Singe the top of the fly with a cigarette lighter.
- Place the fly back in the vise and use a bodkin to pull out legs, if necessary.
Flies or materials are available at T. Hargrove Fly Fishing, Inc.
Saint Louis, Missouri 63144
© 2015 All rights reserved