High Water Midge
This is a very effective pattern to use on tail waters during periods of generation. RiverRun Fly Shop on Taneycomo makes good use of this pattern. The White River in Arkansas is also great water to use this midge during generation. Be sure to over size the bead head on any size that you tie.
Click Fly to Enlarge
|Hook:||Dai-Riki 060, size 14-16.|
|Bead:||Silver Nickel oversized for the hook.|
|Body:||Red thread overwrapped with .5mm Stretch Magic.|
|Overbody:||.5mm Stretch Magic Or Stretch Cord, Transparent (Can be found at a hobby shop).|
- Mount the hook in the vice after putting on the bead.
- Secure the stretch magic behind the bead. Stretch the stretch magic as you wind the thread over the shank and the stretch magic. Wind the thread and stretch magic down around the bend.
- Lay a thin layer of red thread back to the point behind the bead.
- Pull the stretch magic taunt and begin to wrap it forward with snug turns. As you wrap the stretch magic forward, slightly release the tension on the material. This will form a slight taper as you approach the bead.
- Tie off the stretch magic behind the bead.
- Whip finish and add a bit of cement.
T. Hargrove Fly Fishing Inc,
Saint Louis, Missouri 63144
Phone - 314.968.4223
© 2015 All rights reserved