The Mini Hopper was provided by our friend and fishing pal, David Cochran. Dave picked up the pattern somewhere in his fishing travels throughout the West. Try using different colors of Fun Foam and body dubbing to match the hoppers in your area. Great pattern for trout as well as blue gill.
Click Fly to Enlarge
|Hook:||TMC 100 or 300, size 14.
|Thorax Carapace:||3/8" wide 2mm Fun Foam (Color of choice).
|Body:||Black Super Fine dubbing or color to match Fun Foam.
|Legs:||Round rubber or Sili legs.
|Wings:||Deer Hair, Elk Hair or Caribou Hair (Mule Deer Hair personal favorite)
|Under Wing>||Krystal Flash
Fish the Hopper in the surface film. Treat the wings as you would any hopper or dry fly.
- Mount the hook in the vise and lay a base of thread about 40% of the way down the hook shank.
- Lay a layer of glue to the thread and secure the fun foam over the thread with the long end over the front of the hook.
- Wind the thread to the end of the shank and dub a layer of super fine dubbing to a point just behind the foam tie in.
- Tie in three or four strands of Krystal Flash over the fun foam.
- Select a small clump of deer hair, clean out the butt and stack the tips. Secure this clump to the shank over fun foam. Clip the butts of the hair. Place a drop of glue over the clip deer hair butts and make a couple of more wraps of thead thru the butts.
- Mount the legs on each side of the hook at the base of the tied in hair.
- With super fine dubbing on the thread, make two wraps over the legs tie in point and then lift the hair wings and made one turn of dubbing behind the wing. (This will help the wing to stand up.)
- Continue dubbing forward to the eye and then back to a point at the base of the deer hair wing.
- Whip finish and place a spot of glue on both sides of the hook where the legs were tie on.
- Trim the 2mm fun foam behind the tie in forming a small triangle.
Flies or materials are available at T. Hargrove Fly Fishing, Inc.
Saint Louis, Missouri 63144
© 2015 All rights reserved