The Mop Fly is a simple pattern to tie and catches fish. Don't be discouraged by those that talk dispairingly about this pattern. Keep a few in your fly box and you won't be disappointed.
Click Fly to Enlarge
|Hook:||Dai-Riki 135 or Scud hook #12.
|Thread:||6/0 Color to match body (try various colors).
|Body:||Microfiber Mitt Finger.
Fish the Mop Fly under an indicator.
- Mount the hook and wind the lead wire around the hook. (If you are using a bead make sure it is on the hook.)
- Start the thread about 1-1/2 eye lengths behind the hook eye or bead. Lay a base of thread down the shank to the hook point. Return the thread to the starting point.
- Cut off one finger of the mitt and pinch off the material on one end so that the yarn is exposed.
- Tie in the piece selected at the starting point covering only the yarn that you have exposed.
- Place the thread in front of the starting point and behind the bead, if used. Form a dubbing loop or split the thread to form a loop. Pull the material off the yarn off one of the mop fingers and insert it in the dubbing loop. Spin the loop to form a collar for the fly.
- Wrap the material in the dubbing loop around the shank in front of the starting point or body of the fly.
- Tie off, cement and clip the thread.
Flies or materials are available at T. Hargrove Fly Fishing, Inc.
Saint Louis, Missouri 63144
© 2015 All rights reserved