Mop and Glow Fly
The Mop and Glow Fly is a simple version of the Mop Fly pattern. Don't be discouraged by those that talk dispairingly about this pattern. Keep a few in your fly box and you won't be disappointed.
Click Fly to Enlarge
|Hook:||Dai-Riki 135 or Scud hook #12.|
|Thread:||6/0 Color to match body (try various colors).|
|Body:||Microfiber Mitt Finger. (Color of your choice)|
|Collar:||Glow Bug yarn. (Color of your choice)|
|Hot Spot:||Orange or red Glow Bug Yarn.|
- Mount the hook. (If you are using a bead make sure it is on the hook.)
- Start the thread about 1-1/2 eye lengths behind the hook eye or bead. Lay a base of thread down the shank to the hook point. Return the thread to the starting point.
- Cut off one finger of the mitt and pinch off the material on one end so that the yarn is exposed.
- Tie in the piece selected at the starting point covering the yarn and mitt to a point above the hook point. Return the thread to a point behind the eye (bead).
- Cut a small piece of hot spot material and form a post (like tying a parachute fly) half-way between the eye (bead) and the fly body.
- Form a dubbing loop or split the thread to form a loop. Insert the Glow Bug collar yarn into the loop. Spin the thread to form a rope. Wrap the rope around the hot spot to form a ball.
- Tie off the thread behind the eye (bead).
- Tie off, cement and clip the thread.
T. Hargrove Fly Fishing Inc,
Saint Louis, Missouri 63144
Phone - 314.968.4223
© 2015 All rights reserved