The Pumpkin Head Midge is a good pattern to use during the winter months. It is especially good when the water is a little off color.
Click Fly to Enlarge
|Hook:||Dai-Riki 060 or TMC 2487, Size 16-20.
|Thread:||6/0 or 12/0 Black.
|Bead:||Orange Fluorescent bead to size.
|Ribbing:||Copper wire to size.
Fish the pumpkin Head alone under an indicator or as part of a two fly rig.
- Place the bead on the hook and secure hook in vise. Start the thread behind the bead and build a small mound to hold the bead.
- Wrap thread to end of hook shank and down the bend. Bring the thread back to behind the eye.
- Tie in the wire and secure it down the bend to the end of the body.
- Build a slightly tapered body towards the eye.
- Make five or six wraps of wire and secure it behind the bead.
- Build a small head, whip-finish and place a drop of head cement on the head.
Flies or materials are available at T. Hargrove Fly Fishing, Inc.
Saint Louis, Missouri 63144
© 2015 All rights reserved