The Ruby Midge is a killer pattern on most tailwaters. The River Run Fly Shop in Branson, Missouri introduced me to the pattern several years ago. It was first fished on Lake Taneycomo and then on other tailwaters. Each time the Ruby Midge has that it is a must in your fly box when fishing tailwaters.
Click Fly to Enlarge
|Hook:||TMC 100, Dai-Riki 060 or your favorite midge hook. Size 16-18.
|Thread:||Red 8/0 or smaller.
|Body:||Red Holographic Tinsel.
|Ribbing:||Red or black - small or extra small.
|Bead:||Silver nickle or Black.
Fish the Ruby Midge under an indicator. Also, great as the bottom fly in a two fly rig.
- Place the bead on the hook and mount the hook in the vise.
- Place the bead on the hook with the small opening toward the eye.
- Mount the hook in the vice and start the thread behind the bead.
- Tie on the holographic tinsel behind the eye.
- Tie on the ribbing material behind the eye.
- Hold the tinsel and wire together and secure both to the hook shank at the same time. Wrap a body to just beyond the bend.
- Bring the thread back to a point behind the eye.
- Place a small drop of cement on the thread and wrap the tinsel forward to behind the eye. Secure the tinsel with the thread. Clip the tinsel.
- Spiral wrap the wire forward to form a rib. Secure the wire behind the eye. Clip the wire.
- Whip finish and cement head.
Flies or materials are available at T. Hargrove Fly Fishing, Inc.
Saint Louis, Missouri 63144
© 2015 All rights reserved