This is without a doubt Tommy's favorite and go to fly. He has two boxes in his fly bag. One is a box of safety leeches and the other is a box of cigars. Put a box in your fly vest (Safety Leeches not cigars.)
Click Fly to Enlarge
|Hook:||3X Long, size 8-12.||Thread:||6/0 or 8/0 Rusty Brown|
|Weight:||Fluorescent Orange bead and lead wire.|
|Body:||Canadian Mohair - Brown|
- Mount the hook and wind the lead wire around the hook. The lead wire should leave one and one-half eye length behind the eye and end should end on the shank above the point.
- Select an appropriate color of maribou and tie it on the end of the hook shank behind the lead wire. Pinch the maribou to the length of the shank.
- Bring the thread forward to behind the eye. Tie on a length of mahair ending at the rear of the hook.
- Wind the thread forward.
- Wrap the mohair forward to behind the eye sweeping back the loose fibersas you wrap.
- Tie off and trim the mohair.
- Form a head, tie off and cement.
- With the blade of your scissors (blunt side) pull out mohair fibers to give the leech a fuzzy look.
Flies and/or materials available at T. Hargrove Fly Fishing, Inc.
T. Hargrove Fly Fishing Inc,
Saint Louis, Missouri 63144
Phone - 314.968.4223
© 2015 All rights reserved