The San Juan worm can be tied in many color - red, organge, pink, purple, etc. The fly is especially good during high water.
Click Fly to Enlarge
|Hook:||Dai-Riki 060 or 070 #12.
|Thread:||Red 8/0 or smaller (or color to match worm).
|Body:||Red Medium Ultra Chenille (or color to match worm).
|Bead:||1/8 Silver tungsten (or size to choice).
The Weighted San Juan Worm can be fished under an indicator as the first fly of a two fly rig. The weighted worm serves as both an attractor and weight to get the rig down. It can be fished in many ways such as the bottom fly in a rig in fast water.
- Cut a 3-4" piece of chenille and thread it though the bead.
- Place bead on the hook through the small side hole. Place the hook in the vise.
- With the bead and chenille at the bend, lay a base of thread down the hook shank. Build a small mound where the bead will be placed on the shank. Wind the thread to the bend of the hook shank.
- Super glue the bead in place on the small mound the was built. (Optional - make a couple turns of lead wire to slide under the bead.
- Attach the end of the chenille to the shank at the bend, whip-finish and cut the thread. (If lead wire was used under the bead, secure the wire before whip-finishing and cutting thread.)
- Start the thread in front of the bead and wind the thread to the eye. Attach the chenille to the shank behind the eye. Whip-finish and cut the thread.
- Cut both ends of the chenille and burn to a point with a flame.
- Place a spot of glue at both locations where the chenille is tied to the shank.
Flies or materials are available at T. Hargrove Fly Fishing, Inc.
Saint Louis, Missouri 63144
© 2015 All rights reserved