This one of A. K. Best favorite patterns.
Click Fly to Enlarge
|Hook:||TMC 300 size 14
|Wings:||Two Light dun Hen Hackles
|Body:||Black Dubbing or Peacock Herl
|Hackle:||Black Saddle Hackle
|Carapace:||Black Fun Foam
The beetle is fished in the surface film. apply a little floatant, but keep the fly in the film.
Video coming soon!
- Mount the hook. Start the thread and lay a thread base down the shank and slightly down bend.
- Dub a small ball of black dubbingat the bend. This ball will help seperate the wings.
- Select two hen hackle tips and tie them in against the dubbing. Be sure the hackle are split.
- Form an arrow on the end of the foam and tie it to the top of the shank.
- With the thread at the bend, tie on a black hackle.
- Dub the black dubbing forward. If you use peacock herl bring the thread forward and tie in the herl. Wrap the herl forward and tie off.
- Palmer the hackle forward and tie off. Trim off the top of the hackle.
- Bring the foam forward and tie off. Whip finish the head and cement.
- Turn the beetle over and trim the hackle off the bottom.
Flies or materials are available at T. Hargrove Fly Fishing, Inc.
Saint Louis, Missouri 63144
© 2015 All rights reserved